Thursday, October 16, 2014

Chemo Treatment

Due to a very crazy, sick month of September, I am now behind in my blogging!  On Sept 12th I began a 4 week topical chemo cream treatment for the Basal Cell Carcinoma on my forehead. I applied it twice a day.  The first week went pretty well.  It was the beginning of a bad chemical burn... lots of redness and burning.  However, by day 10 it all began to go downhill.  The treatment hit strong and furious... causing a case of cellulitis on the skin of my forehead.  And, all in a 6 day time frame I fought a very high fever.  I had stopped the chemo treatment to clear of my skin but, by day sick I ended up with pneumonia and was admitted to the hospital overnight for antibiotics and fluids.  I haven't been that sick in a very long time!  After spending 6 days fighting a fever and dealing with the misery of my forehead... well, I was happy to be on the road to recovery once again!  It took about 2 weeks to clear everything up and feel like I was back to normal. How nice it was to be able to be outside again! Even thought I only got in 10 days of the chemo treatment, we felt that it was strong enough to not continue on at this point.  I'm going to wait and see if it comes back and will cross that bridge when/if needed.  

During all of this craziness, I and my family were so blessed by the kindness and support shown to us by our family and friends!  Meals were brought for us, prayers lifted up and just acts of kindness that reminded us our amazing our friends and family are!!

No comments: